How many Karen Perrys are there in the world?

https://tinyurl.com/yb7wmom9

Well this blog post is one of the harder ones for me to type. There are a LOT of "Karen Perry"s. There is a famous author, one who had her children killed in a plane crash, and a bunch of others. I searched with my name in quotes, added in my middle initial, and with my full middle name. The only thing that I could find under the search with my full middle name was under images. There was a picture of me from my twitter account, and a photo I took of my calculator at a TI conference.

So then I started to look myself up on pipl.com. Here I was found on the first page and it was a photo from my facebook page. This also popped up more information on me once you clicked into the page. It was interesting to see that the addresses listed were some recent, but others were older from high school. I moved around a lot as a student due to apartments and such, so I was surprised to see some of the old addresses.

Spokeo.com has two Karen Perry's listed in Waukegan, IL. This was kinda interesting, but I wasn't completely surprised by that. I had to fill a prescription once and they grabbed the medicine for the other Karen Perry, and almost gave it to me. Thus, I am familiar with another Karen Perry.

It wasn't until I got to InstantCheckmate.com that my mom's name was mentioned. That part was what I thought was a little odd. You would think her name would be mentioned more in the people searched. They even mention her with her new last name after remarrying.

I am pretty content with what I was finding. I wasn't surprised by the information that was out there. I think I was more surprised by how popular of a name I had. I guess I am not surprised by what was listed on there since it was all public record.

I truly think that this should be a skill taught to all students. I think that understanding how much information is out there for anyone to find is important to learn. It would also be good for them to know the kind of information not to use for passwords or account names. I think that parents for sure should be responsible for teaching the students about what is out there. Sadly, not all even realize that kind of information is even out there, and thus the teachers should be having the students learn more about it. I think that middle school is a great age for them to learn more about their digital foot print. I think that is the age that they are starting to make more and more choices with social media and that will effect how things go in the future for them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Literacy

Is this class over already?

21st Century Skills