Digital Literacy


As the world of technology has expanded, along with the amount information accessible on the internet, digital literacy is an important topic to discuss with students, parents, and teachers.

Digital literacy can be defined as the capability to use digital technology and knowing when and how to use it.  

Literacy is no longer just what you read from a book, news paper, or magazine. Today, we include anything that can be accessible via the internet. I have never been a big reader, and once I got a kindle I began reading more. I was able to access new things to read, and expand my literacy.

Credit: http://pomo.com.au/blog/digital-literacy/
What comes along with these advances in the idea that everyone needs to know how to use these skills and be able to operate them effectively. I included the graphic to the left as it breaks down the different areas that need to be explored for digital literacy. Digital literacy isn't learning how to use multi-media, or typing a paper, or using the online sources without knowing what information is real or fake.

I wanted to explore more information on digital literacy since I am looking for ways to include more technology within my classroom. As I work in a K-12 district, technology resources are being integrated into the classrooms more. Last year the high school got chromebooks for all students. Next school year, the middle schools will be integrating them into the classrooms as well.  As I look at the different ways digital literacy can be included in the classroom, some are not done at my student level, but could be completed at at younger age. What I need to remember is that these ideas need to be revisited with each grade level.

One thing that stood out to me for this topic was how just using an online media does not count for digital literacy. There are more layers to what is included. Students need to having an understanding of what they are using, how they are to use it properly, and making the best choices with it. Collaboration is a key with digital literacy. This concept is what I have been looking to include within my classroom as well as the use of creativity.

Digital literacy is something that needs to be taught in all levels of school. Everything is changing and as new things pop into the digital world it brings forth new things to teach with our students. Students need to be reminded about e-safety at all times. If as educators we just assume someone else taught it to the student, we are doing our students a disservice as we can not be certain that they have learned about this safety.

Check out some additional resources:
https://rossieronline.usc.edu/blog/teacher-digital-literacy/
http://www.paigntonacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/What-every-teacher-needs-to-know-about-Digital_Literacy.pdf


Comments

  1. Thanks for including the additional resources, we can never have enough. You are correct when you say we need to continually teach about digital literacy! In today's 21st century classrooms it isn't enough to depend on the computer teacher or the librarian to cover these topics. As you stated, we need to build on this continually throughout student's formal schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, the point you made about how using online media doesn't make you literate in the digital world, and the USC Rossier online article that stated students' understanding of everything digital tools can do may be limited, really rings true for me. It's something I need to keep thinking about. I'm guilty of assuming, since my students use instagram, snapchat, etc., they know everything about the digital world. Not true! My students also tell me that using tech varies widely from teacher to teacher, as we've seen mentioned in other articles for this class. Indeed, there are many layers which students need to be familiar with, in order for success with digital literacy.
    Carol G.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Chats... Don't forget to....

21st Century Skills

Adulting: Meet the Adult